It pays to think ahead
Foster City, CA – June 30, 2021 – It’s that time of year – road trip season! Now that millions are traveling again, consumers are looking for ways to save money. Planning ahead is likely the best way to keep your wallet happy suggests the personal finance site, MyBankTracker.com. The personal finance site recommends these strategies to help consumers save in its newest edition of How to Save on the Costs of a Road Trip.
Planning Can Help Save the Most
- Maintenance – Get a maintenance check if you’re driving a personal vehicle. The cost of a check is likely much lower than that of a breakdown and tow.
- Food – Brown bag a few meals and snacks, this could be healthier and less expensive than fast food.
- Attractions – Look for bundle discounts or coupons online; if the road trip is to visit national parks, consider the $80 “America the Beautiful” annual pass instead of paying individual entrance fees.
- Lodging – Camping is typically the go-to for road trips; this strategy can be less expensive than a hotel -- even with the cost of rental camping gear, but be sure to make a reservation in advance.
Utilize Travel Credit Card Perks
- Redeem credit card points – Use the points, but wisely! Some of the best travel credit card rewards programs allow points to be redeemed for a bonus value -- or may be worth more if transferred to hotel loyalty programs. Think more free nights!
- Auto rental collision coverage – Check what’s covered by credit card insurance, many make you eligible for reimbursement to cover collision or theft damage so you can decline the waiver from the rental company.
- Roadside assistance – Some pay for services like tows, flat tires, fuel delivery and more.
- Trip cancellation/interruption –This perk can provide a refund for prepaid, non-refundable expenses paid on the card. On a road trip, this will likely extend to lodging and scheduled tours.
“It’s fun to be spontaneous, but not as fun for your bank account,” notes Simon Zhen, senior research analyst for the financial comparison site. “Rental cars are getting harder to find, flight prices are increasing and gas prices continue to be elevated. The best cost-saving strategy is to plan at least a part of your trip in advance.”
MyBankTracker is owned and operated by QuinStreet, Inc. (Nasdaq: QNST), a leader in providing performance marketplace technologies and services to the financial services and home services industries. QuinStreet is a pioneer in delivering online marketplace solutions to match searchers with brands in digital media. The company is committed to providing consumers with the information and tools they need to research, find and select the products and brands that meet their needs. MyBankTracker is a member of QuinStreet’s expert research and publishing division.
MyBankTracker is an independent comparison website helping consumers make smart banking and financial decisions. The mission is to match consumers to their perfect bank by providing and tracking in-depth information on more than 5,000 banks, credit unions and financial products. Using a combination of technology and money management expertise, MyBankTracker provides personal finance comparison tools and educates consumers to optimize their relationships with banks and lenders.
Public Relations Manager