Study reveals consumers prefer cash back over travel or points rewards
Foster City, CA – Aug. 13, 2020 – Most credit card users implement a rewards strategy when choosing and using cards. Overwhelmingly, credit cardholders pick cash back as their favorite reward, according to a recent CardRatings.com survey.
Results show cardholders opt for putting dollars in their pockets over miles or points. The leader in credit card ratings reviewed hundreds of options to name the best cash-back credit cards for small businesses and consumers.
“Flashy travel rewards credit cards tend to get more press, but our studies show cash-back rewards cards are still the top pick for most people,” said Brooklyn Lowery, senior manager of CardRatings.com. “The COVID-19 pandemic has truly shone a light on the adaptability and all-purpose usefulness of cash-back cards. Consumers may not be using travel rewards right now, but extra cash back is always helpful.”
CardRatings.com looked closely at reward structures, credit score needed, best features, potential drawbacks and more factors to determine the best cash-back options to fit consumers’ lifestyles.
Best flat-rate cash-back rewards
- Chase Freedom Unlimited®: New cardholders earn $200 cash back once spending $500 within the first three months
- Citi® Double Cash Card - 18 month BT offer: 1% cash back on purchases and then another 1% by paying the bill on time
- Wells Fargo Cash Wise Visa®: No annual fee and an added perk of cell phone protection
- Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card: 1.5% cash back on purchases without worrying about spending caps or categories
Best cash-back credit cards for small businesses
- Ink Business Cash Card℠: 5% cash back at office supply stores, internet and cable purchases
- American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card: Cardholders earn 2% cash back on the first $50,000 spent each year, then 1% after reaching spending cap
- Capital One® Spark® Cash Select for Business: Easy-to-understand rewards structure earns 2% cash back on every purchase
CardRatings also names the best cash-back credit cards for: tiered rewards; rotating categories; choice rewards; no foreign transaction fees; fair credit; bad or limited credit; and students.
Credit cards assist in financial planning if used correctly, particularly during a time when consumers’ spending habits are drastically altered.
Lowery adds: “Keep in mind that a number of excellent cash-back cards, such as Chase Freedom Unlimited and Citi Double Cash, allow customers to redeem rewards for cash back now, but also, under certain circumstances, offer the flexibility to redeem those rewards for travel instead. That makes them the ultimate option during the pandemic when people aren’t traveling at the moment but dream of doing it again someday.”
CardRatings provides details on the top cash-back credit cards here: Best cash-back credit cards of August 2020.
Lowery is available to discuss the best cash-back credit card winners in all of the categories.
CardRatings.com is owned and operated by QuinStreet, Inc. (Nasdaq:QNST), a pioneer in delivering online marketplace solutions to match searchers with brands in digital media. QuinStreet is committed to providing consumers and businesses with the information and tools they need to research, find and select the products and brands that meet their needs. CardRatings.com is a member of the company’s expert research and publishing division.
CardRatings.com innovated online credit card ratings and has been offering independent ratings and reviews of credit card offers since 1998. The website collects and maintains data on more than 700 credit card offers and carefully compiles objective lists of the top credit cards by card type, making it easy for consumers to find the right card to fit their needs.
Media Outreach Specialist