5% to 50% hike rates are in store for some new applicants
Foster City, CA – September 1, 2020 – Insure.com, a comprehensive resource for insurance information, recently assessed the coronavirus’ effect on long-term care insurance. Researchers evaluated changes to the application and approval process as well as pricing.
For the entire report, read: How COVID-19 is affecting long-term care insurance.
Long-term care insurance provides coverage for home care, assisted-living and/or nursing home expenses. Since COVID-19 emerged, the following changes have occurred:
- Many insurers temporarily restricted applications for coverage and required additional steps in their application process.
- Some insurers declined applications from people in their late 60s or older.
- Other insurers reduced the maximum age for benefits to as low as 65.
- Many insurers required applicants to wait 3 to 6 months after a negative COVID-19 test before applying for a policy.
- Long-term care insurers expedited younger applicants’ applications, in some cases.
- Some insurers are charging between 5% to 50% more for coverage and are reducing spousal discounts by as much as half.
- Filing long-term care claims has become more complicated.
“With COVID-19 significantly impacting long-term care insurance, we caution consumers to review their coverage details before switching their care location,” suggests Michelle Megna, editorial director for Insure.com. “It is similarly wise to check your daily or monthly benefits before proposing any change to your caregiver’s schedule.”
Insure.com shares resources that can help people locate new caregivers and offers advice on when and how to appeal claim denials.
Megna is available to elaborate on these findings, and can comment on how to assess insurance needs and determine the appropriate amount of long-term care coverage for individuals.
Insure.com is owned and operated by QuinStreet, Inc. (Nasdaq:QNST), a pioneer in delivering online marketplace solutions to match searchers with brands in digital media. QuinStreet is committed to providing consumers with the information and tools they need to research, find and select the products and brands that meet their needs. Insure.com is a member of the company’s expert research and publishing division.
For 35 years, Insure.com has served as a comprehensive consumer resource for insurance information, offering expert advice, articles, news, and tools about car, home, health, and life insurance. Consumers have access to free car insurance quotes and guidance on finding the right insurance policy, saving money and solving claims problems.
Sr. Director of Public Relations