Five simple maintenance tips that can save homeowners money
Foster City, CA – August 31, 2021 – Fall is right around the corner. There are several steps homeowners can take in advance of the season to ensure their homes are well-equipped to handle the changes in weather. Modernize Home Services, a leader in the home improvement industry, suggests these maintenance tips to help homeowners best prepare their homes for fall:
- Check the HVAC System - Call a professional to inspect the home’s heating system to ensure it’s functioning properly. Faulty HVAC systems can result in uncomfortably cold homes as the weather changes and higher energy bills. Make sure all air ducts are well-sealed and insulated. Leaks can reduce a home’s energy efficiency by about 20 percent.
- Roof and Gutter Maintenance - Check for loose shingles on the roof and replace any missing shingles before inclement weather arrives. If the home is located in a climate prone to ice and snow, adding extra insulation in the attic can help prevent freezing and ice dams on the roof. Clean out the gutters and consider investing in leaf guards before any storms hit to keep water away from the foundation.
- Sprinkler System Winterization - Winterizing a sprinkler system can reduce the chance of broken pipes and make it easier to turn back on in the spring. First, turn off the main water valve. Then set the automatic controller to rain mode or simply disconnect it. Be sure to drain the water from outside and close the shutoff valve.
- Fireplace & Chimney Inspection - Annual fireplace inspections are essential ahead of use, as build-ups and blockages are dangerous and can lead to accidental fires. It is best to hire a professional prior to using a fireplace to check and remove any flammable residue from burning wood.
- Walkway and Driveway Repairs - Fix any cracks in the driveway as well as uneven walkways and loose railings. These can cause hazardous walking conditions once winter ice storms hit.
“A little proactive maintenance can help homeowners prepare for the changes fall brings, like severe weather, debris, and changing temperatures,” says Gregg Hicks, the vice president of Modernize Home Services. “These seasonal precautions can help keep your home operating efficiently, prevent damage, and safeguard your family.”
Modernize provides a Homeowner’s Guide to Savings, which can be used to find ways to cut costs on energy and utilities this fall. Hicks is also available to offer homeowners more recommendations for fall preparations. He is a home improvement expert with more than 20 years of experience in trades such as window replacement, HVAC, roofing, solar power, kitchen and bath remodeling, siding, flooring, and more.
About Modernize Home Services
For more than 15 years, Modernize Home Services has been a leader in the home improvement and services industry, connecting homeowners with contractors and other home services professionals. Modernize.com operates in more than 15 high-value, high-consideration home segments, including new and replacement windows, solar installation, roofing, heating and air conditioning, siding, bathrooms and kitchens, new and replacement gutters, home security, and others. The business brings a network of more than 1,000 contractors and professionals across all segments, offering broad geographical coverage and choice for homeowners.
Modernize Home Services is owned and operated by QuinStreet, Inc. (Nasdaq: QNST), a leader in providing performance marketplace technologies and services to the financial services and home services industries. QuinStreet is a pioneer in delivering online marketplace solutions to match searchers with brands in digital media. The company is committed to providing consumers with the information and tools they need to research, find and select the products and brands that meet their needs. Modernize.com is a member of QuinStreet’s expert research and publishing division.
Senior Manager, Public Relations