MyBankTracker Study Reveals Money Can Complicate Communication
Foster City, CA – February 12, 2020 – MyBankTracker.com, a personal finance site, conducted a survey to investigate how money problems affect romantic relationships. The new study reveals love isn’t always in the air. Considering how complicated and uncomfortable it may be to talk with a romantic partner about finances, the responses may or may not surprise you. Here are the top findings:
- Nearly two-thirds (64.1%) of Americans report financial stress in their romantic relationships
- Half (49.8%) of Americans say financial issues have adverse effects on their relationships
- Having similar financial goals is what they feel is most important (24.1%) in a relationship
- Irresponsible spending was the largest financial stress in relationships at 17.7%, followed by someone who has too much debt at 8%
- 7.6% of women considered a major difference in individual income/assets to be a problem, compared to only 5.2% of men
- The most common issue? It causes multiple fights (14.7%)
- Meanwhile, 8.3% of respondents report their relationships resulted in a breakup or divorce due to financial problems
- The most important in a romantic relationship? Having agreed upon similar financial goals (24.1%)
- Creating and sticking to a budget together is next on the list with nearly 20%
The study was conducted through Google Surveys on behalf of MyBankTracker.com from February 3, 2020 to February 5, 2020 with respondents in the United States of ages 18 and up.
- Question 1: 931 respondents with a standard deviation of +/- 1.8%
- Question 2: 962 respondents with a standard deviation of +/- 1.7%
- Question 3: 786 respondents with a standard deviation of +/- 1.7%
View the complete article here Study: How Common is Financial Stress in a Romantic Relationship?
Our research analyst, spokesperson and author of the study, Simon Zhen, is available for comment on this study. He can offer suggestions on how to tackle or avoid financial issues in a relationship through communication, transparency and accountability. Zhen has more than 10 years of experience in the financial industry and is an expert on consumer banking products, credit cards, bank innovations and financial technology.
MyBankTracker.com is owned and operated by QuinStreet, Inc. (Nasdaq: QNST), a pioneer in delivering online marketplace solutions to match searchers with brands in digital media. QuinStreet is committed to providing consumers and businesses with the information and tools they need to research, find and select the products and brands that meet their needs. MyBankTracker.com is a member of the company’s expert research and publishing division.
MyBankTracker.com is an independent comparison website helping consumers make smart banking and financial decisions. The mission is to match consumers to their perfect bank by providing and tracking in-depth information on more than 5,000 banks, credit unions and financial products. Using a combination of technology and money management expertise, MBT provides personal finance comparison tools and educates consumers to optimize their relationships with banks and lenders.
Public Relations Manager
Liberty Communications for QuinStreet