Homeowners can avoid costly repairs with simple steps
Foster City, CA - October 13, 2020 - Winter is coming - is your audience’s home ready? If not, Modernize.com, a leader in the home improvement and services industry, has five steps to winterize a home. If this winter is anything like the rest of 2020, it’s best to prepare now. Homeowners that aren’t skilled in certain areas can always hire a contractor to avoid bigger costs in the long run.
Five Ways to Avoid Getting Stuck in the Cold
- Furnace inspection - change the air filter and schedule a professional inspection; the HVAC needs a once-over to avoid the cost of a new furnace replacement
- Windows and doors - consider switching out screens for storm windows, check the frames for gaps and fill any with caulk or weather stripping to prevent heat loss
- Clean out the gutters - remove debris to reduce the risk of ice dams or water damage; while on the ladder, try to inspect the roof or hire someone (it’s cheaper than a leak)
- Hose and sprinkler management - for homeowners that live in colder climates, it’s best to disconnect hoses for the winter season and add a hose bib insulator; remember to blow out the sprinkler system too
- Switch the ceiling fans to rotate clockwise - this produces a gentle updraft to force the warm air down; keeping a fan on low and running it clockwise allows owners to turn the heat down a few degrees to help with utility bills
- Bonus tip - invest in heavier curtains to help keep additional heat inside
To read more tips visit Be Ready for Winter with These Home Winterization Tips
Gregg Hicks, the vice president of Modernize.com is available to talk about more winterization tips such as ways to avoid the cost of a new heat pump. Hicks is a home improvement expert with more than 20 years of industry experience who has worked closely with contractors. He is knowledgeable on a wide range of home service trades from window replacement to HVAC, roofing, and more.
For more than 15 years, Modernize.com has been a leader in the home improvement and services industry, connecting homeowners with contractors and other home services professionals. Modernize.com operates in more than 15 high-value, high-consideration home segments, including new and replacement windows, solar installation, roofing, heating and air conditioning, siding, bathrooms and kitchens, new and replacement gutters, home security, and others. The business brings a network of more than 1,000 contractors and professionals across all segments, offering broad geographical coverage and choice for homeowners.
Modernize.com is owned and operated by QuinStreet, Inc. (Nasdaq: QNST), a pioneer in delivering online marketplace solutions to match searchers with brands in digital media. QuinStreet is committed to providing consumers with the information and tools they need to research, find and select the products and brands that meet their needs.
Public Relations Manager